Monday, February 17, 2014

Black Bean and Lentil Tacos

A few months back, I experimented with a very basic recipe of sweet potatoes and black beans to make some quesadillas.  So basic, sweet potatoes and black beans were the only ingredients.  With some salsa, the quesadillas were fantastic.  Without, they were very intriguing.  I am going to make them again and add a few herbs and spices to see where it will take me (and provide an opportunity for photographic evidence).  Having tried such an unusual to me recipe, I started to look around for a quesadillas or taco based with black beans.  Lo and behold, I discovered black bean and lentil tacos.  By now, you should know I love black beans.  You might even be aware of how much I love lentils as well.  So to find them together, I was ecstatic from the get-go.



Despite the time it takes to make the "meat" of the taco, it is ridiculously simple.  Unfortunately, the recipe I found was written with grams as a unit of measurement and I forgot to record my recalculated measurements (as I also doubled the recipe).  When I make this again, and I will, I'll come back and update the ingredients list.

Let's get started.  First, pour the lentils, black beans, and vegetable stock into a well sized saucepan.  (You do not need to cook the lentils or black beans prior to this.)  Allow the mixture to softly boil for at least 20 minutes.  Keep an eye on it, especially toward the end of the time allotment.  You will need to stir it a little in the beginning but much more toward the end.

Once the mixture becomes more of a paste, work in the paprika, chili powder, coriander, and black pepper.  Let it cool and dig in!  It really is that easy.  Hopefully you have some guacamole, avocados, or salsa, because any of those pair so well with these tacos.

For this recipe
120 grams lentils (again, I will provide better measurements later)
2 cans drained black beans
28 ounces vegetable stock
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp coriander
2 tsp black pepper

I would suggest double this recipe (which was double the recipe I originally found) if you are planning on feeding four people and hoping for leftovers.  These tacos (or make them into quesadillas or burritos) are seriously so unbelievably good, they won't last long.

As another side note, some red onion would work really well in this recipe.  Maybe I'll try that next time and let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment