Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Sweet Potato and Quinoa things

Things.  Well, you could call them cakes or patties, but I have not decided just yet.  I may eat the rest of them between slices of bread and call them patties.  Or I may continue to eat the rest as I did during my first heavenly experience, which would be straight up with a fork (because I'm civilized and most certainly did not eat a few with my hands) and call them cakes.  Until then, I going to eat them.  And love them.  To be honest, I almost did not bake these bad boys.  I tasted the mixture and just about dug in right then and there.  But I'm glad I did not.


This picture does not do these "things" enough justice.
I forgot to take a picture of the pan when I pulled it out of the oven; but, oh, well.


These are surprisingly easy to put together.  The black bean and quinoa burgers are more time consuming and ever so slightly difficult to prepare, but both are worthwhile without a doubt.  Save those for another day though.  Let's get started.

I would recommend preparing the quinoa first.  We should be able to prep quinoa in our sleep by now, but just in case: rinse, drain, toss in a pot, add water, bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cover.  Easy enough.

Once the quinoa is-a-going, start working on the sweet potatoes.  Cut the spuds into 1/2 inch thick chips. Cut each chip into small cubes and add to the steamer pot.  It should look something like:
Oh my goodness, I actually took a picture of the process of making a dish!
I've never done that before, to be honest.

Actually, you do not have to steam the potatoes.  You can prepare them however you wish; but, steaming the potatoes is the easiest, quickest, and healthiest option.  To each his (or her) own.  Also, some people suggest removing the skins; but I, personally, love the skins.

As the quinoa and sweet potatoes are cooking, I would preheat the oven to 350 F, measure out each dry ingredient (i.e.; sea salt, cumin, and crushed red peppers) into a small cup, and begin mincing the garlic and chopping the green onions (or scallions, if there is a difference).

After you let the sweet potatoes cool for a minute (as you may be handling them soon), toss them in a large mixing bowl.  Using a spoon, fork, what-have-you, begin smashing the potatoes.  (I learned today that the difference between mashed potatoes and smashed potatoes is the "s" which stands for skins!)  As the potatoes are reduced to a mush with some small chunks remaining, fold in the quinoa, dry ingredients, and garlic and green onions.  Make sure everything is mixed well and evenly.

Take this opportunity to taste the deliciousness that lies before you.  Now you have to choose between eating out of the bowl and making patty/cake/things (yup, still undecided).  Depending on the size of the pan and the desired size of the patty-cakes, you can make anywhere from 6-12 (or one huge thing or 50 itty-bitty bite-sized things, it really is up to you).



Once the patty-cakes are formed, brush some coconut oil on the top to prevent burning.  Don't use too much, but use your judgement.

Throw the pan in the oven and wait an agonizing 15 or so minutes before you can enjoy a cooked thing.
But, to make the wait less agonizing, let's make some avocado-lime dressing!  You heard me, avocado-lime. And it couldn't be easier, unless I made it for you and delivered it to your house.

Toss the avocado, tahini, cilantro, coconut oil, and lime juice in a food processor and voila, avocado-lime dressing.  Let it spin until it is smooth.  Or don't.  If you want it chunky, which I prefer, don't process it for too long.

The timer should go off soon.  I promise.  You'll get to eat eventually.  When you do, take a bite without the dressing.  Take another bite.  Now spread some dressing all over the top.  It is important to know what a dish tastes like before adding salsas, dressings, etc.  You may actually prefer some foods this way.

For this recipe
2 sweet potatoes, cooked
2 cups quinoa, cooked (I measured 3/4 cup of dry quinoa, but I was too excited and poured everything in                                         the mixing bowl.  I honestly have no idea how much cooked quinoa went into my                                           recipe.  It was delicious no matter what.)
3 green onion shoots, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp cumin
1/4 cup coconut oil (probably less)


For the avocado-lime dressing
1 avocado
1 tbsp sesame tahini
1 handful cilantro (use as much as you like)
1 tbsp coconut oil
1/2 lime, squeezed juice

No comments:

Post a Comment