Thursday, February 13, 2014

Steel Cut Oats and Quinoa

Scrambled eggs and toast used to be my breakfast of choice.  Due to the transitions in my "diet," I began preparing oatmeal for the majority of my mornings.  I would use Old Fashion oats and I was very pleased.  It was a tasty breakfast and I thought it was close to as good as it gets.  But, I am always reading and researching new foods and recipes and will often read about Steel Cut Oats.  I eventually convinced myself to buy some and, despite the oats sitting in my cabinet, waited even longer to actually prepare them.

Once I actually took the time to cook the oats (nearly 25 minutes!), I fell in love.  There are several foods I could eat every day and Steel Cut Oats is certainly one of these foods.  Unfortunately, I do not give myself enough time to cook the oats in the morning before work and was concerned as to how I would be able to enjoy this meal for every breakfast.  To my excitement, there are numerous recipes for overnight oats!  The instructions are simple; set it and forget it.  But I'll cover it in more detail toward the end.

I would share pictures, but, in my opinion, oatmeal is one of the least flattering dishes to be enjoyed.  I may update this with a bowl filled with fresh fruit, but until then, trust me.  Steel Cut Oats are delicious.  They offer more crunchiness and nuttiness not found in traditional oats.

Based on my needs for a more filling breakfast (read as larger portions, more calories), I was considering simply doubling my portions of the oats.  Fortunately, I completely stumbled upon a recipe for Steel Cut Oats and Quinoa.  Quinoa is another food that I absolutely love.  I have been adding it to nearly everything, but somehow, breakfast never came to mind.  The recipe was simple; use less oats, use some quinoa.  How could changing breakfast be easier than the simplest of adjustments?

I'll start with the oats alone.  Measure out the desired amount of oats.  I use 1/2 cup of oats and about 2 cups of almond milk.  Bring the milk/water/whathaveyou to a boil and pour in the oats.  Lower the heat to a simmer and allow to cook for 20 to 30 minutes or the desired consistency.  Easy enough.

For this "recipe"
1/2 cup Steel Cut Oats
just under 2 cups Almond Milk

Say you don't have time in the morning.  Then overnight oats is the choice for you!  The instruction are slightly different, but the result is the same nutty cereal you desire.

For over night oats, simply start...well, the night before.  Plop a tablespoon of coconut oil in a pot and let it start to warm.  Very soon after, toss the oats in the pot and stir around (to mix up the coconut oil all over the oats).  Swirl the oats around, I usually keep the heat just around medium, and let them begin to roast, somewhere under 5 minutes.  Once you really start to smell the oats, pour in the almond milk and bring to a boil.  Allow the oats and milk to boil for roughly a minute or two before cutting off the heat and covering the pot.  Now comes the easy part.  Go to bed!  Let the oats sit out overnight, or at least 6 to 8 hours.  When you wake up, turn the heat to medium and stir the oats.  Within 5 minutes, the oats should be warm throughout and ready to eat!  Just as quick as traditional oats, but better flavour! (For me at least).

For this recipe
1 Tbsp Coconut Oil
1/2 cup Steel Cut Oats
about 2 cups Almond Milk

Now that we have Steel Cut Oats and Overnight Steel Cut Oats, lets get down to the new breakfast sensation that is currently blowing my mind:  Steel Cut Oats and Quinoa.  Above, I said this dish is not very flattering and just bland looking.  But that is because I used regular quinoa.  So, the taste is outstanding, but the look; not so much.  This morning, I used red quinoa, and boy, does this look b-e-a-utfiul. (Side note, I may have used incorrect proportions, I know!, so I may update the picture next time I cook this dish)


I was under the impression that I was no longer going to purchase both white and red quinoa, but there is enough distinction between the two that I will have both on hand to switch it up once in a while.

To cook this, simply use half oats and half quinoa and everything else remains the same as the above instructions.  For one serving, boil 2 cups almond milk before adding 1/4 cup oats and 1/4 cup quinoa (colour of your choice!), reducing to a simmer, and cooking for 20 to 30 minutes.  Too easy.

For the overnight version, I will have to come back and update.  I am going to cook it exactly as I do the oats alone, but I have not done so.  So I will not instruct as if I have.

But seriously, try any one of these options for breakfast (or whenever) and come back and tell me you don't love it.  Cause I don't think you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment