Saturday, February 22, 2014

"Spanish" Chickpeas and Kale

I am trying to branch out away from my "routine" meals such as quinoa pasta and variations of meals including sweet potatoes, black beans, quinoa, and lentils.  I am not saying I don't still love those meals (and I am going to continue to make them), but I need some more spice in my life.  I more or less stumbled across this recipe and found it very intriguing.  Despite the fact that I was without several ingredients, I figured I could make do with what I have and plan on a great outcome regardless.


Here is a close up of the main dish.  This picture was taken immediately after
it finished cooking, so you may see some steam still rising off the deliciousness.


Here is a shot of the entire meal.  To go with the main dish, a lovely side of
brussels sprouts were roasted to perfection.


I will try to point out the ingredients that were suggested and the substitutions that were made in the recipe.  I am trying to utilize olive oil for more of my recipes mostly because coconut oil is rather expensive.  I will still use coconut oil more than I should because I love the taste it offers, but I will practice self-control.

So, take the olive oil, coconut oil, or even peanut oil, and pour it into a large skillet.  Turn on the heat, add the green onions and a splash of salt, and saute for a few minutes.  You can use shallots, scallions, or green onions.  I personally don't know the difference and will call green onions and scallions the same.  Shallots, well, I just didn't have shallots.

Once the onion choice has cooked to a level of preference, add the garlic and paprika.  Allow it to cook the flavour into everything, no longer than one minute.  If you have saffron, add it as well.  I will have saffron next time.

Dump in the chickpeas and a touch more salt if desired.  Let the chickpeas cook for several minutes or until golden brown.  I like mine somewhat mash-y (which is a word now, mind you) so I let them cook for quite some time.

Pour the vinegar of choice (mine was red wine vinegar) and spoon in the tomato paste.  Mix it up well before adding the kale.  Cook the kale until just wilted and you should be done.

For this recipe
2 tbsp oil
4 green onion shoots, chopped (or 1 large shallot, chopped)
1 large clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
(1 tsp saffron, if you have it)
1 1/2 cup chickpeas, cooked
1 tbsp tomato paste
3 tsp vinegar (sherry was suggested, I only had red wine, balsamic, or rice)
and a bunch of kale (I used a lot.  Like a bunch, really.)

Realizing I was hungry, deciding I wanted to try something new, finding the recipe, preparing the dish, and sitting down to enjoy the meal had to take less than half an hour.  This took so little time to prepare and it was absolutely delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment